Monday, October 4, 2010

Banners- A Halloween tutorial

I really love banners and have a lovely Halloween banner to share with you today complete with tutorial. I have really been wanting to do a sewing project. I really like sewing, even though I am not great at it. I think if I was a perfectionist I would be an excellent sewer, however with my lack of caring to keep my seams nice and tight it proves to be a disadvantage! I decided to make a Halloween Pennant Banner.
 Here's is a tutorial of how to make this super cute banner!
Here are my supplies. I just went Hobby Lobby and bought some fabric I liked and this cording.
I cut them into strips and had enough for 2 pennants of each kind of fabric (4 pieces of each so I could do front and back). I did mine 6.25 inches across the top, and down the pennant was 11".
I then put each pennant with ride sides facing and sewed up each edge on the long sides leaving the top open. I just went along the seam and didn't really stick to 1/4" seam allowance. (Once again my lack of perfectionism strikes again!)
After sewing them up long sides, I flipped them right side out. Use a pen or dowel to help get the end through.
After I did this I ironed them all flat so they would hold their shape and I organized in order of how I was going to sew them to the cording to hold them in place.
On a few of them, I went back and did a zig zag stitch just for added cuteness. It didn't really show up though. I should have used different color threads, but I was too lazy to thread my bobbin so I just went to work sewing them on.
I just added them along as I went down the cording and would double over the edges of where they met to make sure it was sturdy. That was it, now I have a cute fabric banner that will last me for years to come! I can't wait until I have a cute mantle to display it on someday. It will be so cute to display over the table at my Halloween Party this year.
Want updates and spoilers on projects and ideas?  Come like me on facebook , twitterand Google + to keep up on whats up next!
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

5 comments:

  1. Your banner is adorable! I love all the pretty Halloween colors. You did a great job. I am like you...so not a perfectionist when it comes to sewing! Would love you to stop by when you get the chance:
    www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling!! great tutorial...I made one for a birthday & used bias tape for the top so i could fold it in half slip the pennants inside & zip along.
    Super Cute! Happy Fall

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fabulous. Says Halloween without screaming it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. That is exactly what I was going for the more "cutesy" Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute colors! I love the boo fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I read each and every one!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS