Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Beef, Barley, & Noodle Soup

It is cold and rainy here today. My little boy had his first field trip, they grow up too dang fast! Anyways, I wanted some comfort food...and this hit the spot.

Beef  Barley & Noodle Soup


* 2 pounds extra lean beef stew meat, trimmed of excess fat, cut into 1-inch pieces (I never use this much and usually trim it smaller)
* Salt & Pepper to taste
* Nonstick cooking spray
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1 cup sliced carrots
* 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
* 5 cups fat-free beef broth
* 1 cup water
* 1 cup celery
* 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks*
* 1/2 cup medium barley
* 1 cup Egg Noodles (I used the thick old fashioned kind)
* 1 cup frozen peas (I omitted because I didn't have any)



Directions:

Season meat to taste with salt and pepper. In a 6-quart nonstick Dutch oven coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook meat over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.


Add onion and garlic, sautéing for several more minutes. Add carrots, parsley, and thyme; sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and water and bring to a boil, scraping bottom of the pan. Add potatoes, celery, noodles, and barley. Reduce heat and continue cooking, covered, over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Add peas, stirring for one minute.


At this point I threw it in the crockpot and we enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I read each and every one!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS