Thursday, October 28, 2010

I'm thankful for...

So I know I am jumping the gun, since I still have some Halloween projects going on, but this is something I wanted to have ready for monday, Nov 1st. I made a thankful tree, each day at dinnertime we will take a leaf and write a blessing we are thankful for in our lives. I really want to recognize as a family all we have to be grateful for and there's no better time! At first this was just going to be a random thing on our fridge, but I decided that unless it was "cutes-ied"yes I make up words up, it would bother me so I went to work making it a little cuter. This was super easy though and I am happy with how it turned out.
First I took some craft foam I already had, most people would probably use paper since we will probably throw away the leaves and start anew next year anyways, but I had the foam and decided to go with it.
 First I took brown and cut my tree and branches.
Then I cut out various colors and shapes of leaves. I am sure most people with a cool cricut or silhouette (I'm saving for one!), can cut these quick, but since I don't have one and the only leaf punch I have is small...I did it by hand. Didn't take too long. I even went out into the yard to find my "stencil".
I cut out yellow, orange, and red leaves. (don't judge...I am horrible and cutting recognizable shapes!) Then I went and found an empty frame I had laying around that would fit my tree. I found this 10x20 frame I have been meaning to use and hadn't and thought it would be perfect! 
Next I just printed a little tag to adhere to the tree base. I burnt the edges since I didn't want to dig out my ink I know so lazy!. Then I punched a little hole and tied the tag around the tree base with raffia. I then taped the tree onto the scrapbook paper in the frame. It hung out the frame...which is kind of how I wanted it so I chose not to trim it. I just thought it looked cool like that especially when we add the leaves to it.
Now my "thankful" tree is all ready to go for Monday!
linked to
House of Hepworths
Somewhat Simple
The Shabby Chic Cottage
Pony Tails & Fish Scales
The Shabby Nest
Fun to Craft
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
TatorTots & Jello 

Visit thecsiproject.com

8 comments:

  1. What a neat idea! I'm following now so I don't miss anything!

    www.lifeontheridgeside.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea, and I especially liked how you used things you already had around, like the frame. (I found you from Somewhat Simple.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard the idea of a Thankful Tree before, but I especially love the creative way you put yours together! I could do this with my kids : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i LOVE it! i'm going to do it and them make a second one for thanksgiving day and all out guests! thanks for posting on tatertots and jello so i could see this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Pretty! Like the way you put it together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the prettiest version of this I have ever seen... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Everyone! So far it is being very well received, my 4 year old asked if he could do a thankful leaf when he woke up this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I read each and every one!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS